The Test d’Évaluation de Français pour le Canada (TEF Canada) is a test of general French which assesses the level of proficiency in French of francophones and non-francophones alike.
The TEF Canada is recognised as official proof of language proficiency by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) as well as the Ministère de l’Immigration et des Communautés Culturelles du Québec (MICC) for permanent residency applications, certificat de sélection du Québec applications and Canadian citizenship applications.
Level of proficiency
The TEF Canada assesses the candidate’s proficiency in French using a 7 level scale based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFRL) and the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB).
The TEF Canada is directed specifically at candidates wishing to assess their level of proficiency in French for immigration applications to Canada or Quebec, or for Canadian citizenship applications.
The TEF Canada is recognised as official proof of language proficiency by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and the Ministère de l’Immigration et des Communautés Culturelles du Québec (MICC).
Candidates with a B2 Advanced Level: register for the online preparation.
Information for candidates:
The TEF Canada consists of 4 modules: listening, speaking, reading and/or writing.
- Compréhension écrite (reading): 60 minutes – 50 questions – 300 points
- Compréhension orale (listening): 40 minutes – 60 questions – 360 points
- Expression écrite (writing): 60 minutes – 2 topics – 450 points
- Expression orale (speaking): 15 minutes – 2 topics – 450 points
Examination rules and regulations
Candidates must check in with the supervisor of the official TEF centre or the invigilator(s) with their notification of schedule and a picture ID with signature (valid passport / valid driver’s licence / national ID card).
After the identity check, the head of the official TEF centre or the invigilator(s) will take an identification picture of each candidate and direct them to their assigned seats.
Each table will be equipped with: a guide to the answer sheet on which will appear the candidate’s name, date of birth and candidate ID number; an answer sheet.
Draft or spare paper is not permitted.
During the entire multiple choice questions part of the test (approximately 1 hour 40 minutes), no exits will be permitted. During the entire written expression examination (1 hour), no exits will be permitted, unless in case of emergency or health issue previously informed by the candidate and justified with a medical certificate.
During the entirety of the exams, communication amongst candidates will not be permitted.
Candidates arriving late will not be allowed in the examination room once the examination has started.
In the event of fraud or misconduct by a candidate (disturbing the examination procedure, communication or attempt to communicate with other candidates or the outside…), candidates expose themselves to immediate removal from the examination room as well as a ban from taking the test for a period of time that will be determined by the CCI Paris Ile de France.
An official certificate of results will be delivered to each candidate. Each certificate is detailed and personalised. For each module, the certificate will show the score obtained, the level of proficiency reached as well as a commentary of the skills in general French.
The results will be sent 4 to 6 weeks after the exam date by email and postal mail (TEF et eTEF), by email only (TEFAQ et eTEFAQ).
Academic degrees are not required to take the TEF Canada. Candidates may take the test several times, allowing a minimum of 60 days between two exam sessions.
TEF and e-TEF
The TEF Canada is available in two versions:
- e-TEF Canada: computer-based version of the reading, listening and writing modules; limited number of candidates. Basic computer skills are required for the e-TEF Canada (use of mouse).
- Paper-based TEF Canada: reading, listening and writing modules.
PLEASE NOTE: the e-TEF Canada is not an online test; it is only available at the location of an exam centre.
|Exam||Registration deadline||Examination dates|
|TEF Canada/TEFaQ/TEF(computer||November 23/FULL||December 2, 2020|
|TEF Canada/TEFaQ/TEF(computer||November 23/FULL||December 3, 2020|
|TEF Canada/TEFaQ/TEF(computer||November 23/FULL||December 4, 2020|
|TEF Canada/TEFaQ/TEF(computer||November 30/FULL||December 10, 2020|
|TEF Canada/TEFaQ/TEF(computer||November 30||December 11, 2020|
|TEF Canada/TEFaQ/TEF(computer||December 3||December 16, 2020|
|TEF Canada/TEFaQ/TEF(computer||December 4||December 17, 2020|
|TEF Canada/TEFaQ/TEF(computer||December 7||December 18, 2020|
Please visit our website frequently since the dates might change.
The results will be sent by email around 3 weeks after the exam (for the computer sessions) and around 4 to 6 weeks after the exam for the paper/pen sessions.
- Payments must be made in full at the time of registration.
- A non-refundable $75 fee will be charged in the event of cancellation or rescheduling before the registration deadline.
- No refund or rescheduling will be granted past the registration deadline.
- It is the sole responsibility of the candidate to ensure that he/she is registered for the appropriate exam. The Alliance Française of Toronto and its employees cannot be held responsible for the choices made by the candidate.
- No refund or credit will be granted under any circumstances past the afore mentioned deadlines, unless Alliance Française has to cancel a session of tests, in which an alternative exam date will be offered, or a full refund will be granted.
- Visa / Mastercard/ Interac / Certified Cheque or Personal Cheque or cash are accepted.
- Download the registration form and the payment authorization form
- Complete the 2 forms. It is possible to fill out the forms using Adobe Reader.
Return the completed forms with a copy of the first page of your passport:
By mailAlliance Française Toronto
Attn. Rachel Pestre
95 Sheppard Avenue W.
Toronto, ON M2N 1M4Please make sure the payment and documents are received before the registration deadline. Seats are limited.