In order to ensure that the students are placed in the proper level, a placement test will be required to all new students who have some knowledge of French language and to returning students of the AFT, who have not participated in a course in 6 months or more. The test will cost $20, but if the person is registered this payment will be deducted from the tuition fee.
If a class is full, you can request to be placed on the waiting list. You will be contacted as soon as there is an opening in the original class due to a withdrawal, or when the number of students requires that an additional class be created.
Students are requested to pay the full tuition and book fees (where applicable) prior to the start of the session (no GST is applied to tuition fees).
For new students, the AFT will apply a $20 non-refundable registration fee.
The cost of course material and books is separate from the tuition fee.
METHOD OF PAYMENT
Payments may be made by personal cheque, by Interac, AMEX, Visa or MasterCard.
A $25 surcharge will be levied on all cheques with insufficient funds.
Where a student's employer pays course fees, a purchase order is required. If three weeks after being invoiced, an employer has failed to pay the cost of a student's tuition fees and course material, the student must pay for such costs within one week of notice from AFT.
In case there are only 3 students registered in a course, AFT will offer those students the choice of one of the following options:
- upgrading to a semi-private course of 20 hours for adults and 24 hours for children, following the same schedule and content.
- obtaining a full refund (no administration fee).
REMEDIAL AND REFRESHER CLASSES
On the advice of a teacher, students can benefit from private lessons at a preferential rate in special circumstances:
- Refresher course: This option is offered to students before they register for a group course which requires some reviews from the candidate.
- Remediate course: This option is offered to students who complete a level in a group course and need to review certain abilities before moving to the next level.
In both cases, these services can not exceed a 4-hour session.
TRANSFER OF SESSIONS
A student may request to be transferred to another session, conditional upon availability of space, as follows:
- 8 business days or more prior to the course start date of the new session: transfer without’ administration fees.
- 7 business day or less prior to the course date of the new session: transfer with administration fees of $25.
- The day of the new session: no transfers will be allowed but a credit note will be issued.
Tuition fees (for collective, private or corporate courses) are non-refundable unless:
- AFT is not able to open the course or accomodate the person in another course
- A student provides AFT with written notice of his or her withdrawal at least three business days prior to the start of the applicable session. Weekend is not considered a business day. An administration fee of $50 will automatically be deducted from the refund.
Credit notes may be granted to a student who wishes to withdraw from a course once he/she provides AFT with written notice. Credit notes cannot be issued if 1/3 or more of session-hours have been completed. Please note that the absence from class does not constitute notice of withdrawal.
Students who join the group during the session are not entitled to any refund or credit note.
Credit notes are valid for a period not exceeding six months from the last attended class.
Credit notes will be processed based on the number of remaining hours in the course, once AFT receives written notice of the student’s intent to withdraw.
All classes up to and including the date of the credit note request will be deducted from the remaining instructional hours. Credit notes will not be granted for missed classes.
An administration fee of $50 will automatically be deducted from the value of the credit note.
Students are not entitled to a credit for a course where a previous credit was used as full or partial payment of tuition fees.
Students will not be permitted to substitute a missed class with a class offered in a similar course during the week. Students who miss classes, or for whom the teacher thinks it is necessary before starting a class they can request private tuition.
The class has to be booked and paid in advance and is subject to the availability of teachers and classrooms. Once the class has been scheduled and confirmed, no changes and no refund possible.
A 10-hour contract of private tuition should be taken within 3 months. During this time only three cancellations are permitted and they require one business day (Monday-Friday) notice from the client as well as from the instructor.
INCOME TAX RECEIPT
According to Revenue Canada, tuition fees are tax-deductible for students who are at least 16 years old and to summer camp participants of any age. The AFT will send the tax receipts to these students by e-mail at the end of February.
AVOIDING CONFLICTS OF INTEREST
All Alliance française instructors must avoid any activity that creates an actual or potential conflict of interest and avoids any situation that may even present the appearance of a conflict of interest with the Alliance française. We advise you, that in order to safeguard our teacher’s contract, please refrain from requesting their services outside of the Alliance française.